Saturday, June 16, 2012

Personal news and Michigan *facepalms*

First off, on Wednesday I found out that the DarkFetus is a girl! Not only that, but I am very healthy and my pregnancy is progressing along normally, so yay!

I'm so happy that I'd throw myself a party, if I could.

Anyway, real news. You all heard about this out of Michigan, right?

"Finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no,'" [Rep. Lisa] Brown said Wednesday.
Brown's comment prompted a rebuke Thursday by House Republicans, who wouldn't allow her to voice her opinion on a school employee retirement bill.
"What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

Boy-oh-boy, does this shit get even better (for certain values of "better", anyway).

From Eclecta Blog:
It’s just another episode in a long, long string of episodes where some Michigan Republican men can’t get into any sort of back and forth with a woman without whipping out the sexist derogatory slurs. This time, it’s state House Representative Frank Foster.

While visiting the neighborhood of a Michigan Nurses Association staffer, he called her a “cunt”.
(Via Wonkette)

To recap: In Michigan, a woman who is an elected representative cannot say "vagina" on the House floor while debating abortion because it's uncivil, but a male Republican House rep can call a constituent a "cunt" because why the hell not.

Something tells me that this hoohah over in Michigan has absolutely fuck all about using polite language, but everything to do with silencing women who dare disagree with the Republican machine. Here's a suggestion, Republican assholes: Instead of using these stupid transparent silencing tactics, just fucking make it illegal for women to speak on the House floor. Problem = solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment