Wednesday, March 20, 2013

10 years on

Last Friday I was downtown running errands. On the street corner in front of city hall, I saw four middle aged people holding signs and bundled up as if it was below freezing (it was in the high 30s. Balmy!). I couldn't read their signs from where I was parked, but the first thing that came to mind was that they were pro-life protesters. But no, the Planned Parenthood is like four blocks from where they were standing.

Oh my god. Antiwar protesters! I drove past them and, yup, one lady had a "Librarians for peace" sign.

Ten years ago-- actually more than that now, since they were out there during the lead up-- a small group of people started protesting the Iraq war. Every Friday afternoon, a half dozen people would make their voices heard on an empty street corner in a dying city.

That takes some strength. One has to wonder how many times they were spat upon or sworn at or called traitors. Ten years ago, it was all RAH RAH! USA USA USA! LET'S KICK SOME BROWN PEOPLE ASS! and to quietly object was brave.

Was? Still is. Every time I've brought up withdrawing our tropps completely, I've been shouted down. It's impossible! It will create a vacuum! We need to finish what we started!

You're telling me that the best military in the world can't figure this out?
You're telling me that that no one expected that the death of Saddam Hussein would create instability?
You're telling me that the people who instigated this war actually had and endgame in mind?

Honestly, I don't know if the war protestors have been out there every Friday for the past ten years or if they've been reinvigorated by the anniversary. I'm going to check out that street corner this Friday-- maybe if they're out there, I'll join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment