Monday, March 11, 2013

"Citadel"

While reading another article on Ars Technica*, I came across: Mass Effect 3 "Citadel" DLC is 4GB of gooey, cheesy fan service.

Ho
Lee
Shit.

(Possible minor spoilers after the jump.)

Something you all should know about me: I generally don't give a flaming rat's ass about DLC. The only exception to that is "The Big MT" for Fallout: New Vegas because Rusty Venture and walking eyes. What Venture Bros. fan could resist? (Which explains why I'm a few days late in jumping on this bandwagon.)


Another thing... I didn't hate the ending to Mass Effect 3. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love it, especially considering that the "bad" ending was essentially a Cowboy Bebop rip-off:


 (Episode 13, "Jupiter Jazz, Part 2"-- relevant bit starts around 9:14)

But on the other hand, I've been playing games long enough to remember the days of "Congratulations!  You won!", so I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, before I get too far into a tangent, that ↑ is why I haven't downloaded any of the DLC for ME3. I finished the series and as much as I loved it, I was done with it. Time to move along and find something else to obsess overplay†. I didn't care about the extra missions or the improved ending or whatever.

But now, Ars Technica comes along and tells me this:
The "Citadel" DLC contains an interesting mission as its base, but its true purpose is to provide Commander Shepard and the Normandy crew with a giant apartment on the Citadel in which to throw the mother of all parties (I am not being metaphorical here). The DLC is a big, wet, sloppy three-hour fan-service kiss... and as everyone's favorite Turian once said, "I'm OK with that. "


I'm only a teeny weeny bit excited to download this. Only a little tiny tiny bit.

As much as Bioware has pissed off their fans, I appreciate shit like this. I really like that they know we're all a bunch of goofballs that fell in love with the crew of the Normandy and all we want to do is party down like it's 1999.

*Which I will hash out later today.
†And, yes, I've been pretty happy with the games I've played since then... but the only thing coming to mind is Assassin's Creed 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment